Close this search box.

What Do I Do if I am Involved in an Accident in Another State?

What Do I Do if I am Involved in an Accident in Another State?

The holidays call for seasonal cheer and holiday travel. We want you to stay safe this holiday season and to be able to reach your loved ones in a timely manner. However, increased traffic and winter weather increase the risks of a car accident. Car accidents are stressful enough but can be even more daunting if it occurs in another state. If you find yourself injured in a car accident in another state, here are some things that you should keep in mind.

Things You Should Always Do:

No matter what state your auto accident occurs in, there are a few things that are going to remain the same. Be sure to do the following, just like you would if you were in your home state:

  • Check for injuries on yourself, as well as on your passengers. You need to determine if you need medical care and to seek medical attention as soon as possible.
  • Call the police. You will need to file a police report regardless of the severity of the accident.
  • Exchange information with the driver of the other vehicle, as well as any witnesses.
  • Take photographs of the accident scene, if you’re able to do so.
  • Call your insurance company to alert them about the accident.
  • Get in touch with a lawyer to help evaluate your rights.

Things to Consider About the State You’re In:

The state in which the accident occurred determines the laws applicable to your case. Depending on what state you’re from, you may be familiar with tort regulations or no-fault regulations. Tort insurance is a system in which drivers seek compensation from the other party that caused the accident.

On the other hand, there are also no-fault states. No-fault insurance is a system where drivers are required to purchase liability insurance. This liability insurance is used to cover their own and their passengers’ bodily injuries and property damage. The state that your accident occurs in makes a big difference in your auto accident case. If you have questions, speak with a knowledgeable personal injury lawyer for clarification.

Personal Injury Claims vs. Lawsuits

While insurance claims can be filed and negotiated from anywhere, personal injury lawsuits are filed in the state in which the accident occurred. This means that the statute of limitations of that state will apply to the time you have to file a case. It is crucial that you file a case within the state’s timeline or you risk losing your claim. Consult with a lawyer as soon as possible to be able to discuss and file a lawsuit in a timely manner.

We hope that your holiday plans go smoothly, but things happen. If you find yourself injured due to an automobile accident in a different state, contact an experienced Queen Yasmine Personal Injury Law accident attorney for help. You can work with a lawyer in the state where the accident occurred or if you prefer, you may elect to hire a lawyer in your home state who will collaborate with a lawyer in the state where the accident happened, often at no additional cost to you. We prioritize you and your safety.

You might also enjoy

Meet The Queen

Get Your Free Consultation

When you need the best San Diego Personal Injury Attorney, contact Queen Yasmine.